Fulper Pottery, Flemington, NJ
Drain tiles were made in Flemington NJ by 1805 by Samuel Hill. When Hill died in 1858, one of his workmen Abraham Fulper bought the firm. Fulper added earthenware, stoneware, vinegar jugs, pickling jars, bottles, beer mugs, butterchurns, bowls and other items.
By the early 1900's the firm was under the direction of William Fulper II. The pottery introduced its first art pottery line, Vasekraft in 1909. Martin Stangl became Fulper's ceramics engineer in 1911 and invented many of the Fulper glazes. (Stangl left in 1914 to work for Haeger).
Fulper continued to make pottery until 1929, when a fire devastated the plant. Martin Stangl then acquired the plant.
Several marks were used: A vertical incised Fulper, stamped vertical fulper marks, a horizontal mark, a Vasekraft paper label, Rafco, Prang, and Flemington.
For a more detailed description of each line and marks refer to Ralph & Terry Kovel. Kovel's American Art Pottery. New York: Crown Publishers. 1993.
©1996 IAACF Ltd.
USE THE BACK ARROW TO RETURN TO PREVIOUS PAGE