Begun as therapy in Dr. Herbert J. Hall's Devereux Mansion Sanitarium in 1904. Acquired by Arthur Baggs in 1915, Marblehead was a small operation, never employing more than six people. The factory operated unitl 1936.
The earliest pottery produced utilized geometric designs. Pieces were also made with marine designs like sea horses, seaweed fish. Later pieces included flowers and birds. Vases and bowls were also made in solid glazes, the most famous of all was Marblehead blue.
For a more detailed description of the line refer to Ralph & Terry Kovel. Kovel's American Art Pottery. New York: Crown Publishers. 1993.
USE BACK ARROW TO RETURN TO PREVIOUS PAGE
©1996 IAACF Ltd